A-CHS NEWSLETTER                      Established 1980

Issue 131                                                                                                                           November 2006



Breakneck Mountain Sno Riders


Lisa and Terry Lord prepared this history of the Breakneck Mountain Sno Riders. Following this article are memories about the club gathered from Charlie White on May 22, 2005.  Lisa provided the images shown here plus more that are in the A-CHS file. This club is an important part of winter recreation in our part of Maine. Part of the mission of A-CHS is to create a record of the present for future historians. Thank you, Terry and Lisa. jd

















The clubhouse as seen from the northeast; those windows provide a different view of Alexander.


THE BEGINNING: The first meeting was held at the fire hall in Alexander in 1987. There were 12 people present: Charlie and Meg White, Terry and Lisa Lord, Elbridge McArthur, Larry Lord, Bernard Flood, Carleton Cooper, Ralph Dorr, Michael Smith, Elwin Daley, and Joey Wallace.


Ralph Dorr assisted and explained how to get the club started. Each member paid $1.00. Names for the club were suggested at a meeting and people voted on them at Randy's Variety Store. Breakneck Mountain Sno Rider's was the winner. The first officers for 1987-1988 were President - Charlie White; Vice President - Terry Lord; Treasurer - Meg White; and Secretary - Lisa Lord.


Officers for 1990-1991 were: President - Charlie White; Vice President - David Goodine; Treasurer - Marguerite White; Secretary - Carolyn Appleby and Trail Master - Joey Wallace


On March 25, 1991 nineteen club members went to Carl's Restaurant for a meal and the last meeting of the season. It was here that Joey Wallace made the motion to build the clubhouse seconded by David Goodine.


Calvin and Dot White donated the land and the work began. We had our first meeting in the new clubhouse on October 7th 1991. Seventeen people present were Charlie and Marguerite White, Calvin White, Terry, Lisa, Matthew, and Megan Lord, Jim Archer, Butch Greenlaw, Jonathon Wheaton, Joey Wallace, Gary, Carolyn and Brian Appleby, Jeff Crowe, Terry Little and Terry Reynolds.


Fund raising became a necessity. We held Poker Runs, had suppers at the Alexander school, had 50/50 ticket draws, sold $100.00 Raffle tickets, took turns serving breakfasts at the clubhouse on week ends, had tea cup auctions, sold tickets on two paintings made and donated by Dot Turner, and sold tickets on a queen size quilt made and donated by Eva Benner. Vicki Sprague purchased and donated the fabric.


The officers for 1991-1992 were President - Charlie White; Vice President - David Goodine; Treasurer - Terry Lord; Secretary - Carolyn Appleby and Trail Master - Joey Wallace.


The meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month usually from November to March

We start and end the season with a potluck supper. The Yankee swap of gifts at the Christmas party is always fun for most of us.


Members of the local clubs came to the clubhouse to hear Jim Martin's talk on Snowmobile laws and safety. Many questions were asked. On 0ct.24 1992 we watched a water crossing event on Pleasant Lake. The sleds minus many parts and pieces started out, turned, and returned to shore, a distance of approximately 1½ miles. Club members and friends bought pullover sweaters with the club crest on them. We also purchased blue jackets with our name and club crest on them. Blue hats with our crest were also available.


Through the years we had family fun days, group rides to Machias, a return ride to Greenfield, a moonlight ride with breakfast at Carl's, a ride-in to Godings’ Pit, where we had a bonfire, cooked hot dogs and roasted marshmallows. We had rides to Nicatous for Chris' peanut butter pie, rides to the Airline Snack Bar, to poker runs in Grand Lake Stream, Calais and Woodland. We have had cookouts on the trail and weekends at Presque Isle and Caribou. We took weeklong trips to Northern Maine and Quebec.


Officers for 1992-1993 were President - Charlie White; Vice President - Dick McPhee; Treasurer -Terry Lord; Secretary - Carolyn Appleby and Trail Master - Calvin White.


We built a drag for it, bought a bush hog and a cutter bar. This addition replaced the Alpine and Nordic machines and their drags. This was a very cold and slow way to groom. Charlie White and Dick McPhee made pipe drags. We bought a used drag that swiveled, then the mogul master, then a used second tractor. We now have two Jimmy's with drags. More people will be able to drive them. Charlie has made a lot of changes to these machines to adapt them for our trails and snow-ice conditions.


Officers for 1992-1993 and 1994-1995 were President - Nancy McPhee; Vice President - Ed Provost; Treasurer - Terry Lord; Secretary - Carolyn Appleby and Trail Master - Charlie White


There is always a never-ending list of things to do. We thank the landowners for permitting us to use their land for snowmobiling. We have purchased blue coffee mugs and delivered them, we have sent Christmas Cards, written thank you letters, had a dinner and a pot luck supper to show our appreciation.


Charlie White was nominated by Joey Wallace and received a plaque for Volunteer of the week" on 106.5 radio.


Calvin White made and presented a gavel to President Nancy McPhee, thus replacing her pet rock.


Dick McPhee and son James drove the Belarus tractor and drag in the Woodland Labor Day Parade. Dick also made the ingenious “Wheel of Fortune” used for the raffle draw ticket winners. Membership has fluctuated over the years probably due to weather and economic conditions. President, Nancy McPhee, presented a club hat to Joe Boucher for being our 100th member in 1995. We built approximately a 24 by 20 tractor building and in 2000 we added a 16x20 addition to the building so that both of our Belarus tractors could be kept under cover.


Officers for 1995-1996 were President - Nancy McPhee; Vice President - Charlie White; Treasurer - Terry Lord; Secretary - Lisa Lord and Trail Master - Dick McPhee


We sold the hinged Diamond V plow. Members took turns in the canteen, serving hot dogs and light lunches to raise money. Snowmobile Clubs in Maine raise money for Pine Tree Camp. Mike Noyes and Harvey Chesley, representatives of the camp, have attended our meetings to update us on what's going on at the camp. Our recognition awards for supporting the camp are proudly displayed in the clubhouse.













(left) The Belarus tractor rigged for grooming trails. (right) Nancy McPhee, president at the time, presented Charlie White with a plaque of appreciation for his dedication. 


Officers for 1996-1998 were President - Nancy McPhee; Vice president - Charlie White; Treasurer - Terry Lord; Secretary - Carolyn Appleby and Trail Master - Charlie White. The assistant trail master for 1996-7 was Dick McPhee and for 1997-8 was Gary Appleby.


Harland Hitchings instructed an excellent day-long safety course at the clubhouse for members of the local snowmobile clubs. Nancy McPhee applied for a rescue sled for the eastern region, but did not get a positive reply. It was approved by motion to buy our own and donate it to the Alexander Fire and Rescue Squad. It is kept at the Alexander Fire Hall.




Officers for 1998-2002 were President - Nancy McPhee; Vice President - Charlie White; Treasurer - Terry Lord; Secretary - Carolyn Appleby and Trail Master - Charlie White.



Officers for 2002-2006 are President - Gary Appleby; Vice President - Charlie White; Treasurer - Terry Lord; Secretary - Carolyn Appleby and Trail Master - Charlie White.


The club has purchased two plaques that are on display in. the clubhouse. One lists the names of the landowners that allow us to use their land for our trails. The other is an "In Memory Plaque" to honor people who made outstanding contributions to the sport of snowmobiling.


Charlie White, an avid snowmobiler, is the energetic driving force behind the formation and continuation of the club. Nancy and Dick McPhee, Terry Lord and Calvin White have made many contributions to improve our club over the years. All the other members also contribute in many different ways to help the club.


Charlie White’s Memories of the Breakneck Mountain Sno Riders


CREATION & HISTORY: In the spring of 1987 Ralph Dorr of the Woodland Snowmobile Club was upstairs over the fire hall on the Cooper Road. He was there to help start a club in Alexander and the area. Meeting with Ralph were: Terry and Lisa Lord, Charlie and Marguerite White, Carleton Cooper, Michael Smith, Elwin Daley, Elbridge McArthur, Bernard Flood, Larry Lord and Joey Wallace. Each person paid $1.00. Names for the club were suggested at the meeting and people voted on them at Randy's Variety Store. Officers elected were Charlie White as president, Terry Lord as vice president, Lisa Lord as secretary, and Marguerite White as treasurer. Meetings were held at the Alexander Elementary School until 1991.


Lisa and Marguerite were charged with getting non-profit incorporation papers done. Bob Gunston worked with them on this project and on December 17, 1987 Breakneck Mountain Sno Riders were incorporated "to own, maintain, and operate social and recreational facilities."


On May 28, 1991 the club acquired from Calvin and Dot White a lot on Gooch Hill for their clubhouse. A permit was issued on September 14, 1991 and construction started. Fred and Lynn Wallace and Elbridge McArthur donated gravel and equipment and others volunteered labor on the building. The club purchased for $1200 an abutting lot from Donna Harvey north of the clubhouse. The club owns 6 acres on Gooch Hill, the clubhouse and tractor shed. Its requests for tax exempt status has not been accepted by the town and in 2004 it paid Alexander $485.77 in property taxes.


In April 1993 the club bought a Belarus tractor for trail maintenance. It cost $17,000 and a tractor storage shed was built soon after. That shed was added to in 2000. In 1994 gas pumps were donated by R. H. Foster and were installed. Also, Lynn Wallace donated a 1000-gallon tank to hold tractor fuel.


TRAILS: The club started with 30 miles of club trails and 15 miles of municipal grant trails. Today the club has 30 miles of club trails and 45 miles of municipal grant trails. The club's charter authorized it to apply for grants and the State Bureau of Parks and Lands will grant clubs funds for up to 30 miles. Much of this money comes from the gas tax. The towns of Alexander, Cooper, Crawford, and Meddybemps each turn over $6.00 from each snowmobile registration to the club.


Many of these trails are gravel roads built for logging operations. Charlie about wore out his D-4 bulldozer connecting these roads and building trails around blueberry fields. The club has received grants to gravel parts of the trail system. Stream crossings are constructed of scrounged materials including used culverts. When EMEC replaced the utility poles along the South Princeton Road, the old poles became timbers for club bridges. Charlie has a mill and saws 3 or 4-inch planks for these bridges. Several people have donated logs for these projects that require a permits that cost $55.


A bridge over Sixteenth Stream was built to be shared by the club and a logging operator. It is extra sturdy. A planned bridge over the East Machias River by the Airline required a $400 permit, but was not built because the cost of the bridge would be $45,000 and the grant was only $25,000.


The trails pass over land belonging to 45 owners. Each must be contacted each year either personally or by letter. The state pays for one half-million dollar landowner protection insurance. Typhoon and other large landowners deal with the State, which in turn gives clubs permission for trails on those lands. Trail construction requires a permit, which is good for five years.


A plaque in the clubhouse recognizes the landowners that allow the club to maintain trails across their property. It reads: Mr. & Mrs. Travis Hull, Mr. & Mrs. Chris McCormick, Vincent Dineen, Mr. & Mrs. Llewellyn Dwelley, Mr. & Mrs. Everett Bates, Mr. & Mrs. Calvin White, Mr. & Mrs. Charles White, Douglas Scruton, Mr. & Mrs. Lawrence Lord, Dale Holst, Mr. & Mrs. Fred Wallace, Mr. & Mrs. Milton Hunnewell, Mr. & Mrs. Carl Oakes, Mr. & Mrs. Jonathan Wheaton, Mr. & Mrs. Jerry Cochran, Mike Hunnewell, Mr. & Mrs. David Davis, Mr. & Mrs. Lynn Wallace, Mr. & Mrs. Jimmy Davis, Norman Davis, Mr. & Mrs. Ronald Flood, Ms. Brenda McPhail, Mr. & Mrs. Berry Hichings, Wagner, International Paper, Mr. & Mrs. Randy Wallace, Ms. Jane Gillespie, Justin Day, Cecil Keene, Randy O’Brien, Leonard Dodge, Mr. & Mrs. William Tracy, Ms Beverly Perkins, Ms Joan Lee, David Hunnewell, Mr. & Mrs. Pedro Ceijas, Cherryfield Foods, Leo Dumont, Ms Donna Harvey, Mr. & Mrs. Paul Crawford, and Alan Spear.


The trails were dragged or groomed the first year by Charlie using his own sled. The club then bought a 78 Cheetah sled from Jim Maxwell that was used a year then sold to Carleton Davis. In 1990 a new Nordic "60" with a 24 inch track was purchased. It still is used today to groom some of the smaller trails. The club acquired a 92 double track 4 stroke Ski-doo for grooming. The club bought a 93 Belarus four-wheel-drive tractor with lags to pull a Mobil-master drag for trail maintenance. This was a used tractor that cost $12,600. In the spring of 2003, the club got a 98 GMC and a 96 Chevrolet Blazer, two drags, and conversion kit lags, all with help from a $21,000 federal grant.


OTHER ACTIVITIES: The club has supported Pine Tree Camp for Disabled Children for a number of years and has sponsored safety classes for young ATV riders. Thirty kids completed the course last year. Insurance company policies made the club stop their poker run activity, and the planned snowboard/ski area can not be used for the same reason. The ATV riders club in town is part of the snowmobile club. It’s called Breakneck Mountain Sno Riders; ATV Division.


Thank you, Charlie for you interest in and support of local history. Years ago while teaching, I had a silver dollar. The students would observe that from one angle it was a circle, but from a different angle it was a straight line, just as Charlie and Terry and Lisa viewed the history of the snowmobile club from different angles. Jd




John Mitchell is said to be the author of “The Houlton Violin”. This poem describes the instrument and its use at the Aroostook County jail where prisoners were required to play the violin for eight hours a day. The poem gives a wonderful picture of another place in another time, a jail in about 1875. The Houlton Violin really was a bucksaw and the prisoners were required to saw wood in the jail yard to pay their keep.


“Poems Nailed to the Crawford Town Hall Door” would make interesting reading and would give a picture of this place at another time. A-CHS hopes that copies of these poems can be found and shared with our readers. The Wesley Historical Society has an entire book of poems, including “The Saga of Georgie McKloon”. A-CHS hopes to collect poems and songs about local people and events or written by local residents. Search you attics!


Ella Leahan’s Autograph Book - 1889


A-CHS previously published excerpts from Leila Crafts autograph book in August 1998 (issue 98, page 16). Leila was born in 1871. Today we will look at another autograph book, one kept by a contemporary of Leila. Autograph books were popular from after the Civil War and still are found among school children, especially girls. We thank Norma (Parlin) Reynolds of Machias who purchased this book and gave it to A-CHS nearly ten years ago. What do we learn from an autograph book? We learn about the social connections among young people, between the child and adults, and who was within the community at a time in history. We can, if looking at the original, learn about each person’s handwriting, for the expert, a reflection on one’s personality.  A couple of 20th century autograph books will be published next year allowing readers to compare changes in expressions over the years. My comments are in Italics. jd


Ella Leahan was born at Calais on June 5, 1874, daughter of Robert and Huldah (Lyons) Leahan. The family lived on the McArthur Road, then called the Lyons or Thistlewood Road. . She married Frank Flood, was mother of two children (Clinton and Edna), and lived much of her adult life next door to Leila (Crafts) Scribner on the Airline Road.


Many kind wishes will be written here,

And none more sincere than mine.

M. Louise McLean – Alexander – December 23, 1889


May the blessings of the old year follow in the new.

Joseph A. McLean – Alexander – December 23, 1889.

The McLeans lived at the Townsend place


May your joy be as deep as the ocean,

Your sorrows as light as its foam.

Very truly yours – Nellie E. Young –

Alexander (and Charlotte) – May 24, 1890


When fortunes fail and friends are few,

Say shall I find a friend in you.

Lydia A. Lyons – Lynn, Mass. – November 6, 1890

Lydia was Ella’s aunt and Huldah’s single sister.


May happiness attend you through life.

P. A. Rich – Alexander – December 18, 1889


In Baring the trusting fellow is hard to find,                                                         Ella Leahan Flood

If you find one that does not flirt,

Please tie a string in the flaps of my shirt.

Yours truly, Marybell Flood – Alexander. Marybell (1881) was the daughter of Wesley and his second wife, Mary Angeline (Perkins) Flood.


Don’t be deceived by flattering words.

J. B. Lyons – Alexander – December 20, 1889. James Buchanon Lyons was Huldah’s younger brother. He was named for the president.


Ella, As a slight token of my esteem, Accept these lines from me.

Lovingly yours, Nora Sadler – December 19, 1889


Ma chere ami – My dear friend - If you want to find friends, Show yourself friendly.

From your friend that is kind and true, Charles A. Frost – Alexander – May 16, 1890.

Charles (1878) was the son of Charles R. (1831). Charles R was the youngest son of Jeremiah and Sally Thompson) Frost; He and his sister Clarissa were living in the Lyons home in 1850, explaining the close connection. Charles A’s older brother Silas also signed Ella’s autograph book.   


No matter what people may say, No matter what people may think,

If you want to live happy the rest of your days, Don’t marry a man if he drinks.

Your Schoolmate, Erdine L. Crafts – Alexander – December 17, 1889. Leila Erdine was using her middle name here, a practice common among some teenagers. She married Mort Scribner.


A good name is better than silver or gold.

Your schoolmate, Eda M. Dwelley – Alexander October 3, 1890. Eda, a teacher, married True Varnum, also a teacher.


May your life be long and happy, gentle as a flowing stream,

And your death be no more painful, than waking from a dream. 

May your cheeks retain their roses, and your eyes be just as bright,

When some boyish voice shall whisper, “Love me, Ella, just tonight.”

Lizzie Howland – Calais – August 1891


Ella is your name, Alexander is your station,

Happy is the little man who makes the alteration.

Ever your friend, Amy Flood. Amy (Perkins) was Gorham Flood’s wife.


When rocks and hills divide us, my face you cannot see,

Take pen and ink and paper, and write a line to me.

Your friend, Mrs. J. D. McGraw – Alexander – March 6, 1891


The Lord hear thee in the day of trouble, The name of the God of Jacob, defend thee.

The prayer of your pastor, J. D. McGraw – Alexander – March 5, 1891.

John D McGraw was the pastor of the Methodist Church here.







Fillmore Lyons – March 12, 1892. Millard Fillmore Lyons, single and named for another president, was Huldah’s brother.

Lillie M. Berry - December 17, 1890. Daughter of Albion K. P. Berry, born 1874.

Silas Frost – Cooper - November 9, 1890 Oldest son of Charles R. Frost.

H. F. Swett, Boston – July 1890

Lizzie Thistlewood – Alexander – June 25, 1893. Daughter of John K. Thistlewood, born 1877.

Your Friend, Robert Leahan – Ella’s half brother.


A Country Boys View

Growing up in Crawford during the Depression and World War II by Gordon Lord


Special issue #11 (September 2005) was entirely devoted to Gordon’s memories of the Arm Road in Crawford. We continued his memories in issues in our quarterly issues since then and will continue in future issues. Images from Maine Register and Swamp – Root Almanac. Thanks, Gordon for all the work you did in sharing. jd



    What a difference exists between the practice of medicine today and 70 years ago. Back then the awaited birth of a child usually took place at home or at grandma’s house. Other than major sickness, home remedies or store bought products served quite well. In looking through old newspapers, I find a great many “cure all” advertisements from not only a mail order firm, but local ads from individuals who had just perfected a formula to cure certain ailments. I well remember iodine (Ouch!) for wounds, ex-lax for a laxative, Bayer aspirin for aches and pains, castor oil and cod liver oil to build us up. Cloverine Salve was sold door to door by school children including myself. Bag balm was effectively used as a healing salve on humans. Bag balm is still manufactured to heal cuts and abrasions on cows’ teats, its original purpose.









    Other remedies used in those days were cedar poultices for joint injuries, motherwort for the kidneys, gold thread for sore throat and canker sores. Gin and hot water was used to relax a person while he recovered. Then there was Jamaica ginger, mustard plasters and camphor oil. A bad wound was sometimes covered with spider webs. They may be crude treatment but they were good when nothing else was available. Another odd remedy was used by some parents for their children earaches; Pa or Grandpa would inhale the warm smoke from their corncob pipe and blow it into the child’s ear. The warm smoke would relieve some of the pain. Every herb as well as most everything from gunpowder to sarsaparilla seemed to have had a curing ingredient in the former days. Because there was no known cure for pneumonia, doctors at times prescribed, “plenty of fresh air.”

     Some folks boiled down herbs such as catnip, rosemary or goldenrod for cough medicine. Sulfur bags were worn around necks to ward off colds. Onion plasters were made from boiling onions, mixing them with lard, and applied to the chest at night to relieve congestion. Some made a tea from willow tree bark to relieve pain. Incidentally, today’s aspirin contains salicylic acid, an element found in willow tree bark.

   Some of the common childhood infectious diseases prevalent were measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough. My siblings and myself each had at least three of these ailments, not uncommon at that time. The croup was another ailment that could be serious. Thankfully today we rarely hear those words spoken. I am relating the following only for reasons of the cure. At the age about 26, I contacted the mumps. Dr. Mitchell was called immediately because mumps can be serious for adults. The good doctor came to the house and as he was probing he said, “they haven’t gone down on you yet, but they will”. Bad news, well maybe not! My always-had-a-cure mother in law said, “Put a silk cord (made from silk thread) around your neck and the mumps will not go down on you.” Knowing I had nothing to lose I tried it. Those mumps hung right over the top of the cord and not a mite below. Elva Seamans, a great lady never lost a single patient from one of her many home remedies.

    Among the major infectious diseases in those days was that painful crippling disease we called infantile paralysis but now called polio. Another major disease was diphtheria, a bacterial disease causing high fever, respiratory problems seriously affecting breathing.  TB (Tuberculosis) was another very serious respiratory disease. Folks with TB were often locked away in sanatoriums to keep their family and the public from catching this contagious sickness. Smallpox was another serious contagious disease.













    Another less known, but contagious disease, was scarlet fever. At the age of 14, I was one of the unfortunates to have been stricken with this illness. To protect my family I was quarantined to my parents' upstairs bedroom for exactly three weeks, then it was considered safe for me to come in contact with people. The rest of the family was quarantined to our house for the same time. Dad still worked because his work was out of doors, and had little contact with others. My parents’ bedroom was chosen because it was the most isolated room in our home. Our kitchen was a one-story add-on room. My mother, by way of a ladder to the kitchen roof, brought food to me while wearing gloves and a mask. She would leave the food and drink on the windowsill for me to retrieve after she was gone. I still remember the painful look on her face when she was leaving. I do not remember whether or not I was taken to Dr. Miner. Because the disease was prevalent in our area at that time I suspect he was contacted for advice. I do remember however, that every single inch of the skin on my body peeled, even my tongue. Most likely the reason I recall my tongue peeling, is that my poor mother, not thinking, brought up a dish of soft boiled eggs, normally a good idea, only she added salt. Of course salt and a skinless tongue do not belong together. When she discovered what she did, I’m sure she felt worse than I did. My biggest worry soon became my concern about passing into the junior class at Calais Academy. When returning in early June, I soon learned all my teachers decided to average my previous ranking periods for which I was very grateful.

    My brother Lawrence developed a very serious, non-contagious disease at a very young age, called “rheumatic fever”. Having been sick throughout his school years, this very serious illness affected him for years to come causing him to miss out on a considerable amount of schooling. He remembers our father taking Dr. Miner, who owned the Calais Hospital, one-half of a calf to pay towards some of his medical expenses.

   We must be truly thankful that these catastrophic diseases will soon be, or have been, hopefully eliminated from the face of God’s earth.

    Dad also had been diagnosed with stomach ulcers when we children were young. His diet consisted of strictly crackers to eat and milk to drink. He was allowed pears once a week.  Of course he drank water, but stuck strictly to his diet even while working all day in the woods or fields. After 15 to 20 years, while on the blah diet, he was cured.






The following represents the first known term as tax collector for Daniel. Readers may refer to issue 128, page12 where we listed Crawford taxpayers for 1852. We also note that he is using the earlier spelling of his family name in 1852.



Know all men by these presence that we Daniel S. Sevey as principal and Samuel Wormwood and Jacob Stevens as sureties of the Town of Crawford in Washington County are held and firmly bound unto the inhabitants of said town in the sum of nine hundred dollars to which payment well and truly to be made by these presence witness our hands and seals this seventeenth day of June 1852. The condition of this obligation is such that whereas said Daniel S. Sevey has been chosen collector of taxes of said town for the year 1852. Now if Daniel S. Sevey shall well and faithfully perform all of the duties of this said office, then this obligation to be void. Other wise to remain in full force.


Signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of Daniel F. Wormwood and Frances Stevens


This certifies that Daniel S. Sevey, Samuel Wormwood, and Jacob Stevens the sureties named in this bond are in our opinion sufficient. Dated at Crawford the seventeenth day of June AD 1852. Daniel F. Wormwood, G. H. Foster, Selectmen



A similar document was drawn up in June 1853 with Daniel S. Sevey as tax collector, Jacob Stevens as sureties and the amount of one thousand dollars. The witnesses were David Burton and Eben S. Nason; the selectmen were Joel Hanscom and Daniel F. Wormwood.



Edward Sevey and Ephraim H. Wright, Assessors of Crawford submitted this list to Daniel for collection. (The purpose of publishing this list is two fold, it names some Crawford land owners who may not be on the census records and it emphasizes the shortage of money and hard times in rural Maine during settlement. Remember that the highway tax could be worked off.) John Love $6.55; Jonathan Love $0.34; Gidion Basto $2.74; Hilland Sevey $0.15; Luther Sevey $0.52; Aaron Sevey $16, 92; Leonard J. Sevey $5.68; Aaron Averill $14.50; Sawyer N Fenlason $9.97; Henry Fenlason $1.16; Foster N. Hanscom $3.68; M. J. Talbot $58.55; Isaac Bedel $7.00; Samuel Brown $20.15; H. R. Nason $7.00; E. H. Wright $4.00; M. J. Talbot $7.00; George S. Fenlason $4.02; William V. Davis $11.42; Joseph Davis $1.00; Elisha P. Fenlason $5.00



Daniel’s mother, Lydia (Sevey) Sevey was 62 years old and likely a widow in 1851. She was living with Daniel and family according to the 1850 Crawford census.


Memorandum of Agreement between Lydia Sevey on the one part and Daniel S. Sevey on the other part. Lydia Sevey agrees to give up her claim to her house, barn and land in East Machias to Daniel S. Sevey, to have and to hold as his property until she shall call for it, and if said D. S. Sevey has hired (rented it out) it under his agreement, it shall remain his until the time is out hired for (expires).

D. S. Sevey agrees to take care of the house and put on such repairs as he may think proper.

Signed at Crawford December 7, 1851 - D. S. Sevey and Lydia Sevey


Oxen were skidders of the nineteenth century; essential for logging, but they also had others uses as shown in these wonderful pictures from Bill Bunting’s A DAY’S WORK. Daniel’s papers have several statements concerning oxen. Here we look at the summaries of these.


On March 24, 1857 Wesley J. Fenlason sold William B. Dowling one yoke of oxen, one red and one dark brindle for $75.00.


On October 8, 1857 William Dowling sold the same oxen to Daniel S. Sevey for $80.40.


1858 paid by D. S. Sevey to A. P. Cushing $7.88; $3.50 for shoeing horses; $4.38 for 500 alewives.


June 6, 1860 D. S. Sevey bought a pair of two-year-old steers from John Fenlason, one dark brown and one brindle with a white spot on his face for the sum of $36.00.


September 24, 1860 Daniel S. Sevey bot of George W. Davis one pair oxen seven years old, the same bought of N. S. Fenlason known as the Crowley oxen for $85.00.


June 26, 1865 D. S. Sevey bot of Elisha P. Fenlason one pair of oxen, six years old known as the L. Andrews oxen, girth six feet and six inches, one red color and the other speckled. $80.00


September 21, 1866 – This is to certify that I sell to D. S. Sevey one yoak (sic) of oxen, one black and the other red buffalo for $175.00 – Benjamin Shattuck, Jr.






























Death Records as found in the Eastern Democrat of Calais Maine (1832 – 1841)

Copied in 1990 by Jeff Brown – Shared by Sharon Howland


March 17, 1836

On Sabbath morning last, Mr. Paul Spooner was found dead on the highway in Baileyville. He had left a miserable hovel in that town in which rum was sold, very late on Saturday evening, to go to his boarding house, and being intoxicated fell in the road, which was covered with ice. In the fall he was probably injured and being unable to rise, died in that situation. His face was fast frozen to the ice. Mr. Spooner emigrated to the Eastern Section of this state some years since, either from New Hampshire or Vermont, we believe the latter. He came here to bury himself from society, and purchased a farm in the midst of our forests. But the retirement which he sought was soon broken in upon by the axe of our hardy settlers, and he was again compelled to mingle with society. He was a man of strong native powers of mind and well educated. The same wretched vice that caused his death, was the source of the misfortunes of his life. Intemperance! Upon thy votaries bestowest nought but ruin – desolation - death.


Paul Spooner was on the 1820 census of Township 15 (Cooper) living alone with age listed as between 26 and 45. On the 1830 census of Cooper two males are in the household. One between 50 and 60, we can assume was Paul. The other was between 20 and 30; his name is unknown.


Paul Spooner acquired land from the Proprietors of Township #15 (Cooper) in 1818. The deed states 160 acres, but the Waterhouse plan shows 210 acres. He was of #15 indicating that he lived there as a squatter before buying the property.  Two cellar holes exist. One is on the 50-acre lot, now in Alexander, back in the woods. It is possible that John Spooner lived here. Was he with Paul in the 1830 census? How were the two related?


 The other cellar is next to the North Union Road. Today when we travel from Alexander into Cooper, we come first to the home of Hilda Crosby on the right. The road continues straight toward where the North Union Schoolhouse once stood and the road took a sharp left. At the edge of the road, next to a blueberry field, is a warning sign for that curve. The remains of Paul Spooner’s foundation are there in the ditch.


Alexander vitals state that Paul Spooner, Esquire, performed four marriages in 1824. On May 19, he married Solomon Strout and Lydia Bailey.


On September 16, 1835, Daniel Lane acquired the ‘Spooner Place’ from Benj. Frost, Collector of Taxes for Cooper. A building was included in the sale. Daniel and his family lived here until their home was built on the next lot south. Daniel’s son Frank got the property and upon return from the Civil War married Eliza Jane Strout, daughter of Solomon and Lydia mentioned above, and built the house where Hilda Crosby now lives.


The 160-acre property passed to Eliza Jane upon the death of Frank, then on her death in 1941 to her youngest daughter Yola and her husband Coburn Crosby. Their son and wife, Dyer and Hilda Crosby became owners and occupants in 1948. Today the place has been over 170 years within one family. This story has special meaning to me because Eliza and Frank were my great-grandparents, Yola and Coburn my grandparents, and this was the home of my mother, Audrey Crosby. jd



Fred Becker of the St. Croix Historical Society gave A-CHS this copy of the Alexander part of the H. F. Wallings 1861 Map of Washington County. I have the entire map, but have not been able to share this image with members. Now you all can see how the mapmaker depicted our town 145 years ago.









































INDEX UPDATE: The index of all newsletter articles will be updated within a few weeks. Check it at <www.mainething.com/alexander> or get a paper copy for $2.00 from A-CHS


FOUND: A copy of FROST FAMILY HISTORY was found after the Genealogy Fair. If the owner of this 5½ by 8½ inch yellow book wants it back, just let us know.




In the description of Green Hill in issue 130, we noted that Nancy Connick was the second wife of Joseph Green Brown Sr. and mother of several others who resided on Northeast Ridge of Cooper or Green Hill in the nineteenth century. Green Brown, born at Machias on May 10, 1782. He lived at first with his parents, then on his own in the parishes of St. Stephen and St. David, New Brunswick for 25 years before 1821. Soon after that he moved back across the border, first to South Princeton, then to Green Hill. He met Nancy in New Brunswick.


Nancy was a daughter of Joseph and Susanna (Shackford) Connick. Susanna was a daughter of David and Lydia (Short) Shackford. Joseph Connick and Susanna Shackford were married at Newburyport, Massachusetts in 1767. Nancy’s family with Green Brown is described in issue 130, page 14, site D. Nancy was a sister of the William Shackford Connick, early settler of Alexander described below.


Joseph Conic of Newburyport, Massachusetts agreed with James Boyd to settle on LesAtten Island (now called Indian Island) in Passamaquoddy Bay for four years and salt fish. He apparently also lived on nearby Deer Island during that time. He signed up with the British Royal Fenciables and for this service was granted 500 acres at Lake Utopia near the Magaguadavic River. This lot apparently was mostly water so he applied for a better lot at Galupe Lake in St. David’s Parish. This lot he traded with a Mr. Stuart for land in Moore's Mills.


Records indicate that William Shackford Connick was a son of the above Joseph. William was born on July 25, 1782. He married Sarah Hall on November 16, 1802. Sarah was born on September 16, 1784, a daughter of Stephen Hall. Stephen Hall died at William and Sarah’s home in Alexander on March 24, 1834. This Connick family was in Alexander according to the 1820 and 1830 censuses. William’s death is not recorded, but we know Sarah was living in 1860 in Meddybemps with her son Levi. Children of William and Sarah Connick:

1)      Stephen was born on January 21, 1804, at St. Stephen, NB.

2)      Maryann was born on August 4, 1805, at the same place.

3)      Levi was born on March 16 1808, in Township #6 (Baring)

4)      Joanna was born on May 15, 1810, in Township #6 (Baring)

5)      William Junior was born on July 13, 1812, probably in Alexander, then called Township #16.

6)      Susanah was born on March 2, 1815 in Alexander.

7)      Samuel was born on July 3, 1817 at Alexander.

8)      Emily P. was born on July 15, 1819 at Alexander.

9)      Margaret was born on February 12, 1822 at Alexander.


Stephen Connick may have been born on January 21, 1804 at St Stephen and died on February 11, 1892 at Waltham, Maine. He is buried at Pembroke. He married Lydia Emerson (intentions November 28, 1825, Alexander, married December 29, 1825 by Warren Gilman). Their children:

1)      Caleb K. (1828 – 1845) is buried at Meddybemps Cemetery

2)      Stephen H. was born in 1831.

3)      William J. was born in September 1835 at Meddybemps and died at Ellsworth on May 22, 1921. He married Sarah Jellison, daughter of William and Sybil (Jordan) Jellison on November 25, 1862 at Waltham. Sarah (1844 – 1923) is also buried at Woodbine Cemetery in Ellsworth.

4)      Sarah A. was born at Meddybemps on January 18, 1839 and died on May 25, 1919 at Waltham. She married Increase Jordan at Meddybemps in 1855. He was a son of Increase and Emma (Kingman) Jordan of Walthan. Increase (1828 – 1909) and Sarah are both buried at Hillside Cemetery in Waltham.

5)      Cynthia M. was born in 1840.

6)      Mary A. (1843 – 1849) is buried at Meddybemps Cemetery.

7)      Samuel B. (1845 – 1848) is buried at Meddybemps Cemetery.

8)      George H. was born in 1847.

9)      Lucy J. was born in 1850 and married John Bibber.


Maryann Connick was born on August 4, 1805. She married Joseph Longley on December 13, 1827. He was born on March 2, 1803 at Norridgewock, Maine. They resided in Alexander into the mid 1830s. Their Longley children:

1)      Mary Eliza (1829 – 1830)

2)      Rufus was born on August 24, 1830.

3)      Eliza Ann was born on May 2, 1832.

4)      Mary Ann Sarah was born on May 2, 1824.


Levi S. Connick was born March 16, 1808. He married Martha Hodgkins on November 26, 1846. When Asa Libby of Alexander married them, he notes “parties belong to Meddybemps.”  She was born on April 6, 1828 at Hampden, Maine. This family lived in the part of Meddybemps that was set off from Cooper on the north side of the road to Cooper. Their gravestone at Evergreen Cemetery in Coopers gives his death as 1891, and hers as 1916. Their Connick children all born at Meddybemps:

1)      Alvin P. (1847 – 1848)

2)      Samuel A. was born August 22, 1849. [see below]

3)      Joel C. was born April 16, 1853.

4)      James S. was born March 3, 1858.He married Mary ‘Mame’ L. Spaulding of Alexander, declaration made December 17, 1884. They and their two children lived at the end of the Flat Road according to the 1900 census.

5)      Bertha A. was born October 11, 1860. She married Henry H. Hitchings of Cooper at Milltown on January 7, 1888.

Martha (Hodgkins) Connick did live in Alexander during the last years of her life. The 1900 census reports Luke Stephenson and Martha Stephenson, his wife living at 750 Cooper Road. They were married on September 24, 1892 at St. Stephen. She died across the road at the home of Lincoln and Lizzie Flood.


Levi Connick’s son Samuel A. married Harriet E. Hayward of Cooper on July 5, 1873. The E. is for Elizabeth and she was a daughter of Henry and Azubah (Higgins) Hayward. The news item about Samuel’s death gives her name as Lizzie Hayward. The record of their marriage lists them as Alvin S. Connick of Alexander and Miss Lizzie E. Hayward of Cooper. As noted above, Samuel's older brother Alvin had died young. This family lived at the eastern edge of the village of Meddybemps. Lizzie (1848 – 1903) and Samuel (1849 – 1915) had six children of record.

1) Herman (1872 – 1899)

2) Florence (December 25, 1873 - January 13, 1923) married William H. Tarbell.

3) Mabel B. (ca. 1878) married Harvey W. Sadler who was born in Cooper son of Edwin and Florence (Carrier) Sadler. Harvey was a blacksmith and Mabel a teacher when they married on may 20, 1902.

4) Grace (1881 - 1954) married Seth Gerry and they lived in Robbinston

5) Myrtle (May 22, 1884 – March 24, 1976) married Charles Noddin, then A. Miller Ross.

6) Leroy was born in Cooper on May 4, 1893. nfi

Samuel A. Connick married Melissa (Henderson) Sennett on March 16, 1905.


William and Florence (Connick) Tarbell were parents of two people of A-CHS interest.

Waldo Tarbell of Pembroke

Evelyn (Tarbell) Cousins of Meddybemps


Emily P. Connick was born on July 15, 1819 and died at Edmunds, Maine on April 12, 1901. She married Henry McLaughlin (1814 – 1876) of New Brunswick. They both are buried at Whiting Village Cemetery. Their McLaughlin children:

1) Sarah A. was born in 1838 or 1839. She married 1] Albert Crane ((1840 – 1864) [Civil War], 2] James McCarty (1841 – 1871), and 3] William “Tom” Black (1847 -   ).

2) Freeman was born in 1839 or 1840 in Meddybemps and died at Whiting on October 28, 1926. He married Mary Smith (1839 – 1902). Both are buried at Whiting Village Cemetery.

3) Amos Kimball (1841 - 1864) died of disease during the Civil War.

4) William Henry was born on October 12, 1842 at Meddybemps and died October 14, 1915 at Whiting. On September 8, 1864 he married at Trescott Urania Crane (1847 – 1928), daughter of William Perkins Crane and Mary Ann (Estey). Both buried at Whiting Village Cemetery. 

5)      Hannah was born in 1844, maybe in Edmunds.

6)      Margaret was born in 1846, maybe in Edmunds.

7)      Levi E. was born on December 31, 1847 at Edmunds and died June 25, 1916 at Whiting. He married Etta Ina Dinsmore (1857 – 1895), daughter of Charles H. and Sarah (Crane) Dinsmore of Whiting.

8)      Samuel C. (1850 – 1924) married Caroline Dinsmore, sister of Etta. Caroline (1859  - 1929) and Samuel both buried at Whiting Village Cemetery.

9)      Elvira (1853 – 1903) married Benjamin William Henry Bagley. Both buried at Whiting Village Cemetery.

10)  Mark was born in 1855. He married Ada Dinsmore, sister of Etta and Caroline. 

11)  Ella was born in 1857 in Edmunds.

12)  Minnie (1858 – 1908) married James Alexander Jamieson (1857 – 1889).

13)  Laura was born in 1863 or 1864 at Edmunds.


Sources: Alexander Vitals by John G. Taylor, St. Croix Courier article from 1930s, Harald Huckins, Jerry Gower, Dot Porter, Patsy Jordan, Waldo Tarbell, Austin Gray, Vital Records of Alexander compiled by Sharon Howland, Cooper vitals, A-CHS files. Who was Mabel Connick of Meddybemps who married Harvey Sadler in 1902? Corrections and additions needed. 





Query from Leonard Young, 11 Brookside Drive, Pittston ME 04345


Chauncy Brown, born June 27, 1888, was a son of Elijah Roscoe Brown and Nora Roxanna (Wallace) Brown, His Brown grandparents were Enoch and Sophonia (Farrar) Brown.  Enoch, born March 18, 1809, was a son of Samuel and Dorcas (Libby) Brown. Chanucy’s maternal grandparents were Robert and Harriet (Noddin) Wallace of Alexander, later of Crawford.


Chauncy Brown died at Scarborough, Maine on September 9, 1950 His funeral was at the Christian Advent Church in West Princeton (although we understand this building is in Plantation 21) on September 10, 1950. He was buried at the ‘West Princeton’ cemetery. Where is he buried? Is he buried at Lakeview Cemetery? Is he buried in the little cemetery behind the Crosby/Perkins/Mike Marshall place where his father and infant brother are buried? Someone of our readers must have been at his funeral and can remember. Where is Chauncy Brown buried?



It is nearly as hard to collect stories about the Indian Devil as it is about the Lake Monsters. Floyd Hunnewell (1907 - 1987) told me that when he was ten or twelve he and his father were walking from Lower Mud Lake home along a woods road that roughly paralleled Spearin Brook. They became aware of an Indian Devil following them, off the road, first on one side and then on the other side. Floyd was frightened by this creature, but his father, Charles Sidney Hunnewell, had an ax and showed no fear. The last they saw of the critter was when they came to the Addison place.


Foster Carlow, Sr. and Charlie White were hunting one night on Breakneck and heard the ungodly screech attributed to the Indian Devil. They didn’t see it, but heard it running across the field. Later they found out that Floyd Hunnewell had had a close call with the creature near the same place on Breakneck. Floyd sensed something behind him and when he turned it was about to pounce on him. Floyd swung his ax at it and the critter leaped 10 feet to the side, avoiding the ax. It screeched and bounded across the field fast as lightning.


Some say the Indian Devil can walk on its hind feet. The story is told of Walter Henderson who had been to town (Calais) in that Pontiac Car that he later sold to Foster Carlow, Sr. It was about dark and as Walter approached Wapsconhagan Hill he saw what he thought was someone walking alongside the road. Walter slowed down to give the hiker a lift. As he was about stopped, the hiker dropped to all four feet, glared at him with bright yellow eyes, and leaped clear across the road. This whole episode may not have happened. Some say that Walter had stopped at the liquor store on his way home.


Carleton Cooper had two experiences with an Indian Devil. Nelson Flood had killed a beef critter and hauled the guts up to the end of the field. Bernard Flood and Carleton went up one night to see what might be feeding there. They got the light on a big tan cat, but in three leaps it was out of the field, so fast neither could get a shot at it. A few days later Darrell Frost and Carleton were deer hunting down beyond the Perkins Place (at the end of the Green Hill Road). They were coming out of the woods at dusk when they heard some thing following them. Like with Floyd’s story, it was first on one side, then the other. They never saw it but heard its eerie scream as they approached the open fields. Carleton says that it was scary and that they kept their rifles ready and with one pointing toward each side.


Lance Keen is the only one around here who has shot an Indian Devil. It seems that Cecil had been hunting near the Pokey Cut-off Road. When he returned home, he set the rifle in the corner in the hall and went to the kitchen where Melva had his supper on the table. Lance was in the living room with his friend John Eisman watching Walt Disney on TV. Suddenly there was a terrible bang and Melva screamed. Cecil got his boots tangled under the table and yelled at Lance, “What have you shot?” In the living room he found Lance holding onto the rifle, with smoke coming from its barrel. A somewhat confused Lance explained that he had seen an Indian Devil on the TV and had shot it. He had shot things before on the TV, but this time Cecil had not jacked the cartridge out of the chamber. Seems that when Cecil had come out of the woods, he took the clip out of his rifle, but the cartridge in the chamber had jammed. Cecil pushed it back in, then forgot it while talking to some friends. Lance is a good shot and Cecil had to buy a new TV.


A-CHS members all know that the Passamaquoddy name for the Indian Devil is Lunk Sous. People elsewhere in the country call it a mountain lion, cougar, or panther. The Alexander Elementary School mascot is the Black Panther. Maine’s IF&W understands that many people are seeing these critters, but states it needs proof that these are not escapees or illegally released animals. Let us know of your adventures with this creature of the wilderness.     




THANK YOU: Some people think that I do all the work in this society. This is not true. Many, many others help in various ways. The newsletter would not be what it is without help. Thanks! jd


Austin Gray sent another parcel of information, much on the Brown and related families, which we will share in February. He also had notes on the Bacon family.


George Haney gave us some past issues of Maine Historical Newsletter and Generations, the Journal of the New Brunswick Genealogical Society. George also passed on a neat bit of information on the 1851Canada census that is printed here for you. The 1851 census was started in January 1852 and not completed until into 1853, thus a person born in 1831 might be listed as age 22 or 23 on the 1851 census.


Jerry Gower and Thelma Eye Brooks each passed on more issues of the Maine Historical Society Journal; these are always good reading and a source of ideas for research and writing.


Alta Flynt has transcribed the first 4 tapes recorded as part of the Meet Your Neighbor project, and asked for four more! This is a valuable volunteer project. A-CHS gets the paper copy and a digital copy as well as the tape for our files. 


CORRECTIONS AND ADDITIONS: In our August issue, we passed on information from Carleton Brown and Vernon Wentworth about Bertha Leaman who had taught in Alexander and South Princeton. Bertha married Niles Williams of Waite on July 8, 1950. Wilfred Parker picks up from there. “Niles Williams lived across from us in Waite. The year we moved there, I was 13 or 14, we had Bertha Leaman for a teacher. Niles was about five years older than I, and I will be 76 on the 29th (of August). Niles was over to our house a lot. I used to turn the churn for his mother, Eva. She would give me a few pennies and I would go to Morris Dudley’s store and get some candy. Morris had married Niles sister Dorothy. Eva told me about the wolves coming around her father’s cabin when she was a kid.” Great memory! We go from Bertha to Niles to Eva to Wolves: making connections. Eva’s father was Ephraim, son of Milford Crosby of Plantation 21. Her mother was Fannie Yates, also of #21. Eva was born in Waite on June 20, 1881, so the wolves must have been at Waite. 


SAFE STORAGE: In August 2005, I asked, “What will become of all this stuff?” referring to all the historical material A-CHS has collected over the years and my recognition of its importance and my eventual demise. In May 2006 I announced a safe storage proposal involving A-CHS, and the towns of Alexander and Cooper. A-CHS pledged $5000 (from the old building fund), Alexander pledged $5000 and Cooper pledged $1500. We completed a grant application and this $11500 was matched with $11500 from the Maine Historical Records Advisory Board with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.


The project team is made up of Alexander Selectman Roger Holst, Cooper Selectman Stuart Shotwell, Alexander Town Clerk Deanne Greenlaw and John Dudley from A-CHS. Deanne also serves as project administrator. The advisory committee includes John Foley, David Davis, Charlie Dix, Steve Hendershot, Lucas Viselli and David Sullivan. Normand Laberge of Trescott has been hired to design and supervise construction of this facility that should be completed by July 2007.


I am not giving up researching and preparing the A-CHS Newsletter. The files now stored in three rooms in our house are not going into the facility when it is complete. However, when the time that my ability to create the newsletter ceases, or I die, a place for the safe storage of the A-CHS files will be ready. Many of these files have come from our members and the collection is valuable. 



JOEL CRAFT – WASHBURN - Joel Craft died on July 11, 2006. He was born in Alexander on November 24, 1947, a son of Gerald and Joyce (Crandall) Craft. Joel is survived by his mother Joyce Frost, sons Michael and Gary, sister Geraldine Jones, brothers Lester and Roger, a half brother and four half sisters.


ROY ALLAN DWELLEY – Columbia, SC - Roy Allan Dwelley died on October 9, 2006. He was born on September 23, 1941 a son of Dana and Emogene (Flood) Dwelley, both of Alexander. Roy maintained his Alexander connections by frequent visits to the family camp on Pleasant Lake, visiting his cousins and by his membership in A-CHS. He is survived by his wife LaDell, a brother Gary, aunts Evelyn Pottle, Mildred Holst, Pauline DeWald, Marion Cousins and Dot Dwelley, and by an extended family in this area.  


CECIL KEEN – BAILEYVILLE – Cecil Keen died on August 17, 2006. He was born in Cooper on March 8, 1919 a son of Henry and Bertha (Vining) Keen. Cecil was predeceased by his wife Melva (Clarke) on November 16, 2000. He is survived by three daughters, Gail O’Keefe, Linda Keen and Bonny Webber and by one son Lance of Cooper. Cecil told many wonderful stories about hunting and fishing in the Cooper area. He also was a great source of knowledge about twentieth century history of Cooper and spent many hours sharing this knowledge with A-CHS readers through this newsletter. 


EVA SADLER – BAILEYVILLE – Eva Sadler died on August 18, 2006. She was born in Alexander on April 7, 1910 a daughter of Fay and Bertha (Cheney) McArthur. She was the widow of Ross Sadler. A daughter Elsie Featherson and her husband Roger survive her. She is also survived by two grandsons, Gregory and Rob, by a brother John McArthur and by a sister Edna Hood.


MICHELLE MARY WHITE – ALEXANDER – Shelly White died on September 3, 2006. She was born at Wesley, Rhode Island on November 2, 1975 the daughter of William and Elaine (Matlock) White. She is survived by her parents, children Billy White and Trinity Duren, a sister Rebecca Hatt, and brothers Will, Joe and Mike.


VELMA LOUELLA CARD (May 20, 1921 – July 13, 2006) Descendant of Civil War veteran and Alexander resident Charles Card and mother of Alden Prosser of the Airline Road in Baileyville.


WILFRED DOUCETTE (August 21, 1935 – June 12, 2006) Wilfred owned the John Cooper place at Grange Hall Corner in Cooper.


JOHN CHARLES HATT (August 28, 1969 – September 23, 2006) His family lived on the Airline Road in Baileyville. John is survived by wife Becky whose sister Shelly White died on September 3rd.


ALLARD RAY MACARTHUR (May 18, 1958 - June 26, 2006) Known as Pegadoo, he was a son of Ellis and Charlotte (Strout) MacArthur, both of old Alexander families.





Family Fare 1950 Bureau of Human Nutrition and Home Economics, USDA, page 58


1 T cornstarch, ½ tsp. salt, 1 T beet juice or water, 2 T vinegar, ¼ cup honey, 1 T table fat, 2 cups cooked beets, shopped or sliced. (No. 2 can)

Mix cornstarch and salt. Blend with juice; add vinegar, honey and fat. Cook slowly, stirring constantly until thick. Add sauce to beets; let stand for ten minutes to blend flavors. Reheat.




Starting in November 2003 and finishing in August 2006, A-CHS published a series of articles prepared in 1982 by Pliney Frost. These articles covered about everything we knew about one-room schools in Alexander between 1822 and 1956. Fortunately, more material keeps coming in and, naturally, we will share it. This photograph was taken by Rena (MacArthur) Kneeland who identified all the individuals pictured, plus she told us the date and place where the image was taken. Rena grew up in Alexander. Thanks, Rena, for sharing.  


Left to right –


Back row:

Teacher Evelyn Pottle, Arthur Perkins



Phyllis Perkins, Alma Frost,

Glenna Cousins, Douglas Hunnewell



Geneva Perkins,

Freddie Bohanon, Austin Frost



Enid MacArthur, Mildred Hunnewell,

Barbara Hunnewell








John Dudley, editor

216 Pokey Road

Alexander, ME 04694

(207) 454-7476                                             FIRST CLASS MAIL










Membership - $10.00 a year


A-CHS NewsLetters Home